I bought a Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player a few months ago and although it works perfectly in playing discs, I have never been able to connect it to the internet to update its software or get internet content. I was aware that it needed a software update to get the most of the latest Blu-ray discs with interactive web-based content, so this weekend I had a concerted effort at fixing the problem … and I succeeded. For anyone experiencing the same problem, and judging by my google search I’m not alone, here’s how I fixed it …
I connect the Blu-ray player to a wireless bridge (Buffalo Air Station Ethernet Converter), which in turn connects to my wireless router (Netgear RangeMax WPN824v2). This is a set up that works fine with every device I connect, never a problem getting an IP address and achieving connection … until the Sony Blu-ray that is! There is no obvious reason why the default settings (DHCP and DNS Server Auto Acquisition) shouldn’t work fine, but they just don’t. The solution is to use a static IP address. Here’s how I did it …
First, with the Blu-ray player menu on the TV, I scrolled to Setup>System Settings>System Information and made a note of the MAC address.
On my pc, I logged into the router manager (check your router user guide for guidance if necessary). I then reserved an IP address using the Lan IP Setup option; clicked Add and typed in a high number address that wouldn’t commonly be allocated (I used 192.168.1.99), the MAC address of the Blu-ray player and device name, e.g. BDP-S350. Make a note of the router IP address and Subnet Mask – these should be 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively.
Back on the Blu-ray menu on the TV, I selected Setup>Network Settings> Internet Settings>IP Address Acquisition>Use Static IP Address. Then set the addresses, in my case …
IP Address: 192.168.001.099
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: 192.168.001.001
DNS Server (Primary): 192.168.001.001
I left DNS Server (Secondary) blank and all the other settings unchanged, scrolled down to Network Diagnostic and selected Start. Lo and behold it worked, returning a ‘Network connections are correct’ message for the first time since I got the machine.
I then selected Setup>Network Update and downloaded and installed the software update, following the instructions on screen.
I hope this is useful for anyone experiencing a similar issue. This worked for me, but your setup may be different and you adjust your network settings at your own risk!